Alter Pharma is a Belgian group of pharmaceutical companies with headquarters in Anderlecht (Belgium) and offices in Ireland and the United States.
Employing in total over 125 employees, the Group distributes a wide range of EU-sourced pharmaceutical products to pharmacies, wholesalers, hospitals and retirement homes (parallel import). At the same time, Alter Pharma also develops and reformulates generic pharmaceuticals and sells them internationally through partnerships. Alter Pharma’s mission is to make medicines available at an affordable price. In 2017, global private equity firm The Riverside Company, invested in Alter Pharma and the Group is now rolling out an ambitious growth plan.
Alter Pharma is looking for a Legal Counsel to strengthen its legal department, based in Anderlecht, primarily to support the Business Unit Parallel Import.
As a legal counsel, you will provide legal support by controlling and managing legal risks and liabilities internationally in order to avoid and/or deal with claims and/or litigation, to draft a broad scope of contract documentation, to defend Alter Pharma Group’s legal rights and assist the business in decision making and in achieving its business objectives, in compliance with the internal policies, laws and regulations.
The position will have the following key responsibilities:
- Interact with various departments to define legal needs, assess legal risks, align strategies and tools, provide advice in the decision making and risk analysis and provide customized legal solutions for issues at hand indicating legal options;
- Perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights;
- Review ongoing litigation and advise management accordingly, and work closely together with the external legal counsels involved;
- Manage and provide advice on the intellectual property of the Business Unit and the other entities of the Alter Pharma Group;
- Manage all trademark related correspondence in relation to the BU Parallel Import with all authorities and parties involved;
- Draft, review, negotiate a wide variety of agreements (including licensing, development, distribution agreements, etc.) and advise management on contract management;
- Advise on regulatory matters and coordination with PI Regulatory team and interact with the relevant authorities (e.g. FAMHP);
- Assist the Chief Legal Officer with implementation of corporate housekeeping, corporate governance and monitor compliance;
- Participate in seminars and attend specialized committees in the fields of expertise, in particular in relation to the Parallel Import business;
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
You will report to the Chief Legal Officer, also based in Anderlecht.
- Master’s degree from a Belgian University;
- At least 4 years of experience of which preferably at least 3 years in a reputable law firm;
- Experience in litigation (commercial/IP and/or corporate) is a big plus;
- Experience within the biotech or pharma industry is considered a plus;
- Knowledge of intellectual property law is a real plus;
- Fluent in English and Dutch is necessary. Good knowledge of French;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative and trust enabling working style, and an enthusiasm for building partnerships among key stakeholders;
- Self-starter, autonomous;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong problem solving skills, good negotiation and diplomatic skills, enabling and optimistic can-do spirit;
- Change ambassador, networker, result driven, innovative;
- Relate to the Alter Pharma values (faster, better, smarter, together).
- A chance to be part of a highly innovative and fast-growing player in the Life Sciences industry;
- A chance to grow and to have a real business impact as a legal counsel;
- An intellectually stimulating job with a lot of variety, autonomy and responsibility;
- A competitive and attractive remuneration.