Komatsu Europe International NV (KEISA) in Vilvoorde is the European Headquarter of the Komatsu Group, which is based in Tokyo, Japan. The Komatsu Group celebrates its 100th anniversary this year.
Komatsu is the 2nd largest worldwide manufacturer of construction, mining and utility equipment, and also delivers forest machines and logistics. It has manufacturing operations across the globe, including in Japan, Asia, America and Europe.
Komatsu Europe mainly consists of three main axes: a) manufacturing b) sales and marketing and c) retail finance.
Komatsu is expanding its legal department and is looking for a Legal Counsel who will be working in Vilvoorde (Belgium).
As a Legal Counsel, you will provide professional legal services to the Group’s businesses and operations in Europe.
Your task is to understand, evaluate and timely, clearly and effectively communicate the legal risks and opportunities associated with commercial/financial transactions, business operations and projects while at the same time understanding the business requirements and needs.
This position with a strong international focus includes the following responsibilities:
- Draft, interpret, and negotiate agreements (e.g. procurement, manufacturing, sales, facility, IT,…);
- Providing professional, timely and pragmatic legal advice and services to the business entities of Komatsu in their day-to-day operations;
- Identify, advice on and manage the legal and financial risks to which Komatsu is exposed and to minimize liability exposure and risks by recommending and implementing appropriate agreements, policies, practices and procedures;
- Promote compliance by the business with applicable laws and regulations and with the Komatsu policies and procedures;
- Ensure compliance with national and European law through monitoring, interpreting and advising on current and new relevant legislation and case law;
- Provide legal advice on (European) ad hoc projects;
- Evaluate the necessity to seek legal advice from external counsel, select, monitor, manage and ensure effective advice by such external counsel;
- Train business people on relevant legislation and procedures (e.g. competition laws and policies);
- Proactively manage corporate governance and overall corporate housekeeping activities pertaining to the Group’s extensive legal structure;
- Provide support for legal administration (filing, invoices, mailing).
You will be part of a team of 3 legal counsels and you will report to the Head of Legal EMEA region.
- You have obtained a Belgian Master degree in Law.
- You have at least 6 years of experience with commercial law including contracts (procurement, manufacturing, sales, distribution, facility,…).
- Experience with European competition law is considered as a strong advantage.
- Basic knowledge of GDPR and/or ICT law is a definite plus.
- You have an interest in financial/operational lease structures.
- You have experience in an international environment, preferably (partially) within an international law firm.
- You have a thorough knowledge of English and a good knowledge of Dutch and French.
- You are able to work independently and to prioritize the key projects.
- You are self-confident: you dare to speak up in meetings, pointing out legal risks to business, escalating risks to higher level if needed, you are able to push back minor topics to be able to prioritize important matters.
- You have a clear and understandable communication style: you are able to translate legal analysis to readable legal advice to business.
- You are open minded and flexible.
- You are proactive.
- You are detail-oriented in legal research, in fact finding, in level reviews and in internal communication within the legal team, but taking a very pragmatic approach in advising the business.
- You are trustworthy.
- You have a strong interest in the business (willingness to learn about Komatsu products),
- You demonstrate willingness to take up administrative tasks where needed (legal filing – invoice processing – etc.)
- You are willing to travel on an occasional basis (mainly within Europe).
You will be part of an international company with strong financial results.
You will be able to follow relevant internal and external trainings.
On top of that, Komatsu offers you an attractive salary package with flexible working hours and flexibility regarding home office.
Apply immediately with the Apply Button or contact Stéphanie Verhaegen for more information.
Contact Stéphanie by mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +32 476 39 40 50.
When you apply, we will keep your CV and other personal data you give us in our database in accordance with our Privacy Notice